Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Write

(I want to preface all of this by stating that this post will ramble, but please bear with me.)

So this is something that I've been thinking about for a long time and I think I have gotten Miranda on my bandwagon. Miranda and I bought journals this past weekend.

I believe that we as humans do not do all that we can do to exercise our minds. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have an incredible time turning off my mind at night, my brain is constantly churning ideas ranging from every topic. We are always concerned about getting in shape, but we all resort to doing nothing once we get home from work. I believe that this thought process of mine does go to waste, which is one of the reasons why I started this blog. I really felt that I needed a forum to express myself. Not necessarily for any one person or group of people to be impressed with my writing skills. I love the fact that people can come to this website and share what is going on in my life, but the reality is that I needed a release, I needed to be creative. I know that few of us have jobs that would be fulfilling from a creativity standpoint, but that doesn't meant that your mind has to stop.

Thus, I am encouraging everyone to start writing. Not to post on the internet or to write a novel or to compose a sonnet, but to simply write. I do not think it's important that you are a good writer, this can be something that is simply for you, but you should write about something which you are passionate.

I will write about the horrible pent-up feelings I still have with what happened with Rage and the fact that there was nothing in the world that I could do to make her better despite the fact that I drove to College Station to save her life and ended up putting her to sleep the next day. I will write about my version of how my wife and I met and fell in love. I will write about fantasy football and the method to my madness. I will write about my goals and aspirations. I will write about my memories in law school. I will write about my family.

I don't think that it's important to write about one thing and it's not about being perfect or grammatically correct, it's about getting something on paper. All it would take is the 30 extra minutes that most of us have during lunch. Instead of sitting at your computer, write. Get up early Saturday mornings and write.

What about the people who are about to have kids? What are your fears or your dreams for your not yet born child? There will be memories that you will forget that will be so precious to you at that time. There is no reason to let them slip away.

I don't know about the rest of you, but memories fade, very quickly. Memorializing those memories isn't about necessarily capturing the moment, but it can be about capturing those feelings.

It doesn't take much. Go to the store, but a notebook and write.

Write about your favorite football team and the fact that they lost their offensive coordinator and who you would like to see them hire. Write about your favorite baseball team and what hopes you have for Danks, Volquez and Diamond to do in the majors. Write about your grandparents, they will not be here forever. Write about how much you love your significant other. Write about anything.

I must also admit that I am a horrible writer. I always have writer's remorse. When I put pen to paper I always think that I could have been more specific or more colorful, but there is no reason why you can't come back to that thought and expand on how you feel.

I do not know how many readers I have, but I think I can count the number of people who will actually do this on one hand, but I hope everyone takes a minute to think about doing this and then do it.

For those of you who will ignore my request - Linkys:

Corvette stolen in 1969 and returned.

I have 20 invitations to a neat website, Newsvine, where you determine what news you feel is important. All you have to do is ask.

SI.com grades the baseball offseason of all AL teams.

Former NBA'er, Ralph Sampson, is in trouble (from TrueHoop).

"Is George Clooney dating Teri Hatcher? Cuz if he is, he could do a lot better. A lot better. (DListed)" (from Egotastic)

Check out the interesting things that have been scanned on the National Archives.

If you have not checked out flickr then you are doing yourself a disservice. Funny picture of a kid and snot (link removed as per the mother's son request) .

2 comments:

Samantha said...

hi there- i have asked flickr to pull this photo of mine (the snot one) from their blog, and have pulled it from my photostream. i would greatly apprecaite it if you could remove the link to it from your site. I'm not comfortable at all with my son being so viewed (20+ blogs!)... flickr put it on their blog without my knowing, and that's why it's being removed... Thanks so much.

Samantha said...

I truly apprecaite you removing the link. I have also realized how exposed my photos were, and made them inaccessible (I hope). thanks for understanding!