Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Trip to Gainesville


Gainesville, TX Train Station


Cooke County Courthouse - under construction


The straight and narrow, Gainesville, TX


Gainesville, TX Train Station (by the way, it's a beautiful old brick building with some really old live oak trees out front).

I had to go to Gainesville, TX on Monday and it was an absolutely beautiful day to drive. Whenever I get to go anywhere I always feel like I am missing a day of work. Nevertheless, I was able to walk around downtown for a few minutes before I met my client and take some pictures of downtown Gainesville. The Cooke County courthouse looked to be in incredible shape, but was obviously under construction. I wouldn't mind seeing it after they're done with it.

My client was an incredibly nice eighty-four year old man. His wife passed away and I had to probate his wife's Will. We'll call my client Mr. M. It's amazing when you get a chance to sit down and talk to older people, but apparently, Mr. M was in World War II and he was a glider pilot. Yes, that's right an airplane without an engine. It was the job of the glider pilot to haul jeeps and heavy artillery to different spots behind enemy lines and then find a place to land or crash. Mr. M flew into Normandy on that fateful day, behind enemy lines. I never new this part of WWII history and was completely unaware of these men. The United States and England both had glider pilots. My boss was telling me that many times upon crash landing, the cargo would come smashing forward into the cockpit. Mr. M showed me a ton of old photographs from the war. You could tell that all he wanted to do was share a little bit of his life and I was glad to accept. I will write a much better history lesson given enough time, but not today.

By the way, if you haven't gotten the hint, talk to an older person and more times than not they will have something interesting to say and you'll probably learn about something that you didn't know previously. Writing assignment for the week.

Lynkys:

I've been listening to a lot of James Blunt, he's good (by the way Chris, if you have his latest CD, will you burn it for me? I'll love you forever and ever and ever).

A discussion of the NL Central (for Ben).

More on William Wesley (from True Hoop). For those of you who aren't keeping up, Wesley is a NBA powerbroker, but he's not an agent.

Interesting item on Tech vs. A & M recruiting.

Mandy Moore to appear in episode of Scrubs.

Hayden Christianson and Sienna Miller are more than friends?

A neat picture of a dog on the subway with a brick in it's mouth . . . and . . .

The 100 best first lines from novels (both through the greatness of Kottke).

No comments: