Sunday, March 26, 2006

Life Is Tough


I really don't know where to start here, this may be more of a rambling string of words rather than a coherent text. My wife says that I can make someone feel terrible without saying a word. I never intentionally want to make someone feel bad, but I suppose it happens. I've never really understood how I do this. I reckon it is my silence that is so horrible, the simple fact that I will simply not say anything if I am offended, I will keep my mouth shut and move forward. Despite that fact, I do forgive and I tend not to hold grudges. I move on, life is too short, etc. I don't know where I got this particular trait, my father is a quiet individual who always seemed to say more with his face than with words, like father, like son. I am not an angry person, in fact, I am not angry at anyone. I am frustrated by some people's actions and I am sure that there are some people who are frustrated with mine, but that is life. No one is better than anyone else, we all change, we all grow, none of us are the same people from 10 years ago, we are human beings who evolve and change, that is absolutely certain. I am a proud person, I have lived a good life, I love my wife, I love my family, I love my friends and if we didn't feel so passionately about each other then there wouldn't be a discussion about any of this. Life is not perfect, it is a constant battle, it is about forgiveness.

Miranda told me the other day that I should be a writer. I remember in junior high that I wanted to be a sports writer, but my insecurity about my writing style always held me back (I always prefered to write in a conversational tone and none of my teachers seemed to appreciate this laid-back style). I truly think that if I could do all of this over again, I would have given writing a shot. I do not think I am truly opinionated about things and so I think that having a weekly column would be a beating, but not being constrained by a particular syle suits me. The perfect job would be if everyone could simply pay me to write, whether it be on this blog or not, then I think that this would be the perfect job.

Last weekend Miranda and I watched two movies. We had not seen a movie in the theater since Friday Night Lights and thus these reviews are a bit dated. You can also find a list of my movies at Listal.

Elizabethtown: I really enjoyed this movie. I think that I really connected with this movie from a standpoint of failing and being able to pick myself up. This is what motivates me in life, the fear of failure and I have always thought that overcoming this is a huge hurdle for me personally. The acting was generally good and Kirsten Dunst was able to pull off the "quirky" girl, but Orlando Bloom seemed a little stiff, however, I think that this was how his character was supposed to be. Self-reflection is a good thing, I remember Duk telling me that he had a serious road trip to take and I told him that a road trip by yourself allows for this type of reflection and is a good thing and should be appreciated and not dreaded, more times than not you come out of it a better person.

The actual town of Elizabethtown, KY has a neat website, and you should click on the gallery for walking trails.

Wedding Crashers: I love anything from the Wilson brothers, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell and Stiller and I thought that this was a funny movie. Of course I watched it when I needed a "pick-me-up" and it was good to laugh. It was hard to envision Vince and Owen's characters as attorneys or mediators, but it was funny nonetheless. Funny quote from Owen Wilson's character in the movie: "That we're all one. That seperateness is an illusion, and that I'm one with everyone - with the Prime Minister of England, and my cousin Harry, you and me, the fat kid from 'What's Happening,' the Olsen twins, Natalie Portman, the guy who wrote 'Catcher in the Rye,' Nat King Cole, Carrot Top, Jay-Z, Weird Al Yankovic, Harry Potter, if he existed, the whore on the street corner, your mother. We're all one."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Seth you gotta help. I made a new post last night and it won't show up on my main page. Only in my archive folder for March 2006. Help??

Unknown said...

That's quite a tale of deceit. Let Bigs know that he has my condolences. By the way, I am still waiting on the info to start your blog. I will need help with a slogan.

Unknown said...

That's quite a tale of deceit. Let Bigs know that he has my condolences. By the way, I am still waiting on the info to start your blog. I will need help with a slogan.