Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Just Another Wednesday


Things are quiet on the homefront. Miranda and I are going to San Antonio this weekend for a wedding reception (the wedding took place somewhere in the Caribbean). I'll try to take plenty of pictures and I'll try even harder not to delete any of them.

Miranda starts school next week and she I don't think she's looking forward to waking up early after such a long break. I have complete confidence that she'll recover.

I've been meaning to discuss a post in Mark Cuban's blog about making money in basketball. I've often thought, although I never expressed it in writing or verbally, that starting a league as Cuban suggested is really an ingenious way to start basketball. I've often thought that there are certain individuals who were really interested in playing basketball and interested in going to school as well. It would also stand to reason that there are just as many folks who have no interest in school, but would love to expand their game at an early age. If the schools are provided for the children who are signed, more than likely with private tutors, then what would be the problem with this? Additionally, what would stop a kid from going to public schools and then practicing the rest of the day? I think it's easy to try and kick Cuban for some of comments and/or actions, however, he is one thing, a forward thinker. There is no such thing as 100% success when it comes to ideas, but the key is to actually have an idea to communicate to the public and I truly believe that this is what he does. I recommend that you read his blog, Blog Maverick. Don't get me wrong, there's many days that I really don't have a clue as to what he's discussing, but that shouldn't ever stop anyone from reading it. Eventually you'll catch on, on.

I've often been obsessed with uniforms and I think that most people who enjoy sports also enjoy critiquing uniforms as well. For instance it is universally known that the Oregon Ducks have the worst uniform in the history of ever. I've been turned onto UniWatch, via Mavs Moneyball.

To answer Duk's question, yes, I'd be more than happy to help with fantasy football, but I'm not about to reveal all of my secrets here. Some of my best friends/worst enemies in regards to fantasy football read this blog and it'll be a cold day in hell before I allow them a peek into the type of preparation that produces a last place finish last year.

Finally, I've stumbled upon a website called Rocketboom which is a three minute videoblog from New York. The stories are touch on a range of subjects and each night when I hop on the computer, it is one of the places that I always visit. I'll be honest, it's a little quirky, and it sometimes leans on the liberal/artsy side, but it's really well done.

No comments: