Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11, 2006 - Five Years

Is there a more appropriate writing assignment than this, where were you this day? I don't want to make this more dramatic that what today is really about, but where were you. Here was my inspiration, Rocketboom. I also recommend taking a look at these pictures, they were taken September 13, 2001 and they are incredibly detailed, something I haven't seen before.

I have been mentally avoiding this day for quite some time, but I do feel that it's important to try and remember those feelings that you had that day. Write them down, anywhere, on a napkin and tuck them away somewhere.

I distinctly remember that it was a relatively cool day, in other words the 100 degree days of August had seemed to pass that day and I remember that today was going to be a good day. I had not yet found a job after graduating from law school and I was still working for my dad on our farm. This morning I began mowing at 6:45 a.m., just me, myself, and my radio. I remember the sky being an incredibly beautiful color of blue that day. There was so much calm that day, like any other day for me when I worked at the farm.

As always, I was tuned into The Ticket, a local sports talk radio station. For some reason I remember Gordon Keith doing the news and he was getting word that something was wrong with the World Trade Center towers, but really couldn't tell what it was. It wasn't until some time later where Gordon, Miller and Dunham were essentially listening to Good Morning America and as the network was providing news so were they. I remember sitting there and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I wasn't able to get to a television until noon that day and I couldn't believe the footage, it was so much different than what I expected. I remember thinking that this seemed to really be taking its toll on Peter Jennings as this really seemed personal with him (not that it wasn't with anyone else). I stuck out the rest of the day and was glued to the television the rest of the day.

I know that my wife really doesn't understand my unusual connection with The Ticket, but strangely enough, I really connect with all of those guys and even though it's been five years later, I still have that connection. Don't get me wrong, it's the sports and humor, but it's a little more than that. They are your everyman and that has appeal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't you think a big part of Couric reason for doing something like this is just to "dig"? That story doesn't serve a purpose other than to dig on people who still have strong feelings for that day, and her dig to make us all uncomfortable about that day, as if we're not already uncomfortable already and there wasn't enough tragedy that day. Honestly, it seems likely that when a person inhales an incredible amount of dust and debris that they will probably get sick. Thank you Katie.

It certainly makes me appreciate the fact that I distinctly remember that Jennings was a complete professional during the whole process, but it was this process and continually being the bearer of news he wished he didn't have to report was incredibly difficult for him, and for Katie to voluntarily dig, when there had to have been a story that was more deserving is very disappointing.

Ben, thanks for participating.